With The Curse of Monkey Island being released on Steam recently, I thought it would be fun to draw a classic scene from the game.
The quicksand scene is where Guybrush Threepwood finds himself slowly drowing in quicksand, while being surrounded by a bunch of seemingly useless items (and helpful information by the ‘Plunder Island Naturalist Society’)..
I started off with a rough sketch, using no grids or other layout tools like I used in previous drawings. The rough sketch established the main character and the large areas surrounding him, the big tree in the back, tree on the left and so on.
The next step was to sketch the image in more details:
One fun detail are the hands of Guybrush: in close-up they look pretty terrible, so I tried making them a bit more refined in my sketch:
The left hand should be a bit larger, I’ll probably sketch that again before going to the next part: inking.
I had an old half-finished painting lying around, a nice dark shot of the Guyver from the 6th episode of the first series.
Painting and finish
I started out with painting some blue/black in the right side to have the complete canvas filled:
The original screenshot is quite dark, so to give my picture some more contrast I add a black layer over the background:
And to finish it off, I retraced the outer lines with some black marker and added a missing shadow.
Voila! The edges aren’t very nice, so a cropped / cut version might look better. At least I can consider this old painting done now!
In this last part we’re going to re-ink the picture and fix some color issues.
I used these fineliners:
Some shadowy parts of the clothing were missing, also I wasn’t satisfied with the color. Below you can see what I fixed:
In part 2 we applied some ink to the sketch; after the painting these lines have become dull and need some touching-up. When we apply new ink, we also make lines thicker where they meet, to liven up the image a little. See an example below:
Finally, the work is complete. I removed some parts of the canvas to the right and bottom to center the image a bit.
The upper line of the left leg is a bit too curvy, and the colors of the machinery could be darker/greyer but all in all I’m pretty satisfied with how it turned out.
For reference, here’s the original screenshot:
Today we’re going to paint our inked sketch. First let’s take a look at the setup:
- A big box of small Amsterdam colors
- A disposable palette and some brushes
- Water and tissues
- Small watercolor sketchbook for trying out colors
I started with the red color on the uniform. None of my reds were the right color so I mixed it with a bit of yellow to get closer to the color in the image.
You can see the results below.
Next up was skin, clothes and machinery:
Next step, adding some shadow parts and doing a 2 layers for the hair; one light, almost pink color and a darker brown.
Finally, Add some dark highlights to the hair and adding a bit of background. The background colors don’t make the character stand out as much, but we can probably fix that in our next and last part: re-inking our lines.
Today we’re going to ink (or use fine-liners actually).
I used a 0.3 point fineliner for the main part of the image, and a 0.1 point for the face and eyes.
First off, here’s everything inked except the face:
Now, I wasn’t quite happy with the face yet, it seems as if the mouth is a bit too low and the eyes should be farther apart. To test this theory, I overlayed a paper over the original screenshot and did a comparison:
Also, because the screenshot isn’t very sharp, I compared closeups of the eyes to get a feeling for what parts to pay attention to:
Based on this little study I redid the face..while I think it’s an improvement, I’m not 100% happy with it yet, but good enough for this time.
Here’s the inked version complete:
Now, all that is left to do is to erase out grid/pencil sketch to clean it up. This will leave us with the final version which we’ll paint in the next part!
After finishing work, it’s fun to take a step back and see what you missed or screwed up. I’ve marked the things I noticed in the image below; at least the not-completely extending line is easy to fix (click image to enlarge it).